Sunday, September 17

Anne Huis Openhartig (Anne Frank's House)

Amsterdam, Netherlands.....the history person in me just had to see this. We were in Amsterdam for a day and my No. 1 priority was to see this house. It is kind of eerie when you walk in and see where this little girl and her family hid for almost 2 years. Going up the steep stairs behind the bookcase (for the historically challenged....her family and friends secret hiding place was behind a bookcase in her father's former business). The stairs are very steep, its almost like you are walking up a ladder. Her father was the only one to survive and he wanted the house preserved like it was back then. So there has been no added new furniture or fixing of anything. It was truly a significant historical adventure.

I wish I could of taken pictures inside but this was strictly forbidden. Did not want to get thrown in a Dutch prison. But the memories are etched in my head for all of eternity.

The sad part is that almost 1/2 of the people I talk to, did not know who Anne Frank was.........people should pick up a book sometime. But maybe this was not required reading for everyone.

1 comment:

The Black Planeteer said...

YOU'RE KIDDING! Who hasn't read the poignant diary of Anne Frank? Sad, sad, sad.

I'm glad you got a chance to go. Maybe I'll get a chance to jet over to Amsterdam for a day. (Hint, hint)